Moving can be stressful and overwhelming. Don’t worry, we’re sharing what we’ve learned from our years of experience managing every detail of our clients’ moves from beginning to end. Make this transition smooth with our tips for a successful move.
- Give yourself plenty of time. You don’t have to wait until your house is sold to start decluttering and packing.
- Declutter. Don’t spend extra money (boxes, paper, or larger moving truck) and time packing items you don’t use or want to keep. It hurts me to pack things I know people will not use or don’t want because they ran out of time. One thing we see happen all the time is when our clients are down to the wire they are too stressed about the actual move that they cannot make decisions about decluttering.
- Print off a checklist of things that need to be done. Here is a great checklist!
- Start in areas you will not be using, like the attic or a guest room.
- Take the time to put items that belong together in the box together. For example, we put all the home decor together, so when we are unpacking that is one of the last things we unpack and then spread it out to see where it should go in the new home.
- Label your boxes with the room you want it to go to and itemize a few of the main items in the box so it is easily found.
- Start with priority rooms; the master, kids room, or kitchen are the most important when unpacking.
- Take the time to plan out each room. Don’t start unboxing and shoving stuff in closets. This is your opportunity to get organized.
- Declutter again. Even if you have more space don’t keep items you don’t love or use. Not every cabinet or drawer has to be full. Give yourself room to grow.
We are so excited to announce that we will be opening back up May 11th! I made the tough decision to postpone our jobs for the safety of our staff and clients. The foundation of Tabulated is family. We wanted to make sure that we put your families and our families health and safety first during all of this. And of course I want to thank the clients that showed us grace and understanding when we had to cancel and/or postpone appointments. Also, thank you to those that have helped support our business by purchasing products and our DIY services. However, we feel that it is safe for us to return back to work with a few modifications.
So whether you have been home for what feels like forever or had to keep working I am sure you are noticing things in your house that are driving you crazy. We are excited to help you declutter, create systems that stick, or move. However, we are going to do things a little different for the next few months.
What are our temporary changes?
- We will be working in teams of 3. I have divided my staff into 2 teams of 3. This will help with cross contamination and reduce the number of people in your home.
- That will mean that a job we could normally get done in 1 day may take 2 days.
- We will have longer lead times. I will only be ordering supplies instead of going into stores. We ask that you give us plenty of notice and have some patience.
- Virtual Consultations to minimize going into homes. I may ask that you take some measurements for me, but other than that it will be just like our normal consultation
Safety Remains Top Priority:
- Our team will practice social distancing within your home. We will spread out and not work in areas together.
- We will wear masks when we are inside your home.
- We will also use hand sanitizer regularly throughout the job.
- If one of the members on our team is sick or their family member is sick, that whole team will have to remain off work for 2 week (one of the reasons I am have 2 separate teams)
We are so excited to be back and working with you. We have missed organizing so much. Be on the lookout for great deals will be offered this summer, this has never happened before so you will want to take advantage of them.
Hello! It has been too long since I have made a blog post. We have lots of new and exciting things going on at Tabulated and with my family that I need to update you all on. But today I want to share with you all about our trip to Utah. We have gotten so many questions about it.
So here we go!
This client had reached out to me about wanting help with decluttering before they moved. Being a coach’s wife she is no stranger to moving and knew she did not want to take stuff with her across the country that she no longer needed or wanted.
When I went for our consultation I mentioned to her that we could help her move as well. Unlike most moving companies we don’t pack junk. We strive to make the moving process on our customers as painless as possible. As I told her, we are mommas and understand that we need to make this move as easy as possible, so we DO NOT just toss stuff in a box and wish her the best.
So off to work we went. First, we took a day to declutter and reorganized holiday decor and other things that had gotten disorganized in previous moves. A couple of weeks later they were ready to head to Utah. So our team packed their house for The Fireman Moving Company to load the trucks and hit the road.
A couple of days later Ginger and I were on a plane with some of the movers to meet the trucks in Utah. After a long day of travel, we crashed at the hotel to rest up for a couple of full days of work.
As the Fireman unloaded the truck, we went around the house and placed sticky notes for where we wanted everything to go in each room and in each cabinet. Since we had packed the house we had a good idea of what the client had, so we could plan things out easily. Then we unpacked the boxes and got busy organizing. After two full days of work, we had unpacked and organized: 2 kitchens, a living room, a family room, an office, 3 kids rooms, 7 closets, a playroom, master closet, & a master bath.
Here are my takeaways from this trip:
- Utah is one of the most beautiful places I have visited.
- The altitude is no joke. You have to drink tons of water and not stand up too quickly.
- I am so thankful this family made the decision to declutter before they packed and moved, it made the unpacking and organizing so much easier.
- We love traveling for work!
- We have the best clients. They made sure we were fed and got around safely in that Utah snow. They were so easy to work with.