Moving can be stressful and overwhelming. Don’t worry, we’re sharing what we’ve learned from our years of experience managing every detail of our clients’ moves from beginning to end. Make this transition smooth with our tips for a successful move.
- Give yourself plenty of time. You don’t have to wait until your house is sold to start decluttering and packing.
- Declutter. Don’t spend extra money (boxes, paper, or larger moving truck) and time packing items you don’t use or want to keep. It hurts me to pack things I know people will not use or don’t want because they ran out of time. One thing we see happen all the time is when our clients are down to the wire they are too stressed about the actual move that they cannot make decisions about decluttering.
- Print off a checklist of things that need to be done. Here is a great checklist!
- Start in areas you will not be using, like the attic or a guest room.
- Take the time to put items that belong together in the box together. For example, we put all the home decor together, so when we are unpacking that is one of the last things we unpack and then spread it out to see where it should go in the new home.
- Label your boxes with the room you want it to go to and itemize a few of the main items in the box so it is easily found.
- Start with priority rooms; the master, kids room, or kitchen are the most important when unpacking.
- Take the time to plan out each room. Don’t start unboxing and shoving stuff in closets. This is your opportunity to get organized.
- Declutter again. Even if you have more space don’t keep items you don’t love or use. Not every cabinet or drawer has to be full. Give yourself room to grow.